Open source pros:
- Price, it’s free.
- Distributed development community.
- Non-proprietary technology.
Open source cons:
- Price, while it’s free – nothing is ever really free. You might need to hire someone with an understanding of the system to run it.
- Distributed development community – this is also a con because, for example, if there is a specific bug affecting your business it can take some time before a fix is released for your specific software.
- Non-proprietary technology. Again, this is a pro and a con. It’s a con because non-proprietary software can also mean there is a lack of vendor certifications.
Commercial CMS pros:
- Centralized support.
- Stability and performance.
- Learning curve.
Commercial CMS cons:
- Vendor lock-in.
- Lacking cutting edge technology.
To read the full list of pros and cons for each, click here.